Nothing beats the smell of fresh gingerbread baking. Whilst it’s the perfect treat for Christmas Eve baking, gingerbread men are also a lovely after school treat. These cookies are soft and once you start eating them, you will find you just can’t stop. They are best eaten warm. In our house they are usually devoured well before they have cooled.
350g plain flour
175g dark brown muscovado sugar
80g golden syrup
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp ground ginger
- Melt butter in a pan on low heat.
- Once the butter is melted add the dark brown muscovado sugar and the golden syrup and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and add the ground ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda.
- Crack an egg and beat slightly. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the egg and the buttery mixture.
- Knead the mixture together until it forms a dough.
- Make a ball, cover in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to the working surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough and cut using cookie cutters.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius. Preheat the baking tray before baking cookies for approximately 6 minutes.
This recipe is perfect for soft gingerbread men all year round or for Christmas treats.
We hope you enjoy making this recipe. Please do let us know if you try this recipe, how you get on with it.